Recently, Xiaomi rolled out the Official Stable version of MIUI 9.5 roadmap, and it was confirmed that Redmi 3 and Redmi 3s would receive the same update in the last month of March 2019. Just because the Redmi 3S is almost 2 and half years old phone, it was launched in August 2016 with MIUI 7.5, and Android OS 6.0 Marshmallow. Skilfully, Xiaomi rolled the latest MIUI to all the latest newly launched devices, because they have to keep their promise of first and latest updates.
Currently, Redmi 3S is running on MIUI 9.2, which is an outdated version of MIUI. And if you are a Redmi 3/3S user, you are at the right place for the news related to upcoming system updates. We will update this page to the new forthcoming updates.
Redmi 3/3S update timeline
Xiaomi rolls out the same update with the same changelog on both the Resmi 3 and Redmi 3S. So, let’s have a look at the update timeline
|20 December 2018||MIUI 10 8.12.20 (beta) | Android 6.0||Recovery update | Recovery update||Fixing Bugs and System Improvements|
|13 December 2018||MIUI 10 8.12.23 (beta) | Android 6.0||Recovery update||Fixing Bugs and System Improvements|
|07 December 2018||MIUI 10 .1.1 (Stable) | Android 6.0||Recovery update | Recovery update||Upgrade to MIUI 10.1.1.0 MALMIFI update|
|06 December 2018||MIUI 10 8.12.6 (beta) | Android 6.0||Recovery update | Recovery update||Fixing Bugs and System Improvements|
|29 November 2018||MIUI 10 8.11.29 (beta) | Android 6.0||Recovery update | Recovery update||Fixing Bugs and System Improvements|
|22 November 2018||MIUI 10 8.11.22 (beta) | Android 6.0||Recovery update | Recovery update||Fixing Bugs and System Improvements|
|15 November 2018||MIUI 10 8.11.15 (beta) | Android 6.0||Recovery update | Recovery update||Fixing Bugs and System Improvements|
|29 October 2018||MIUI 9.6.2 (stable)| Android 6.0||OTA Available||Fixing Bugs and Optimisation in device|
|25 October 2018||MIUI 10 8.101.25 (beta) | Android 6.0||Recovery update | Recovery update||Fixing Bugs and System Improvements|
|18 October 2018||MIUI 10 8.10.18 (beta) | Android 6.0||Recovery update | Recovery update||Fixing Bugs, improving performance, and stability|
Read More – Xiaomi Redmi 3S Prime gets Android P 9.0
MIUI 10 Update for Redmi 3/3S/3S Prime
The official update of MIUI 10 has been already rolled out for Redmi 3, 3S, and 3S Prime. It was the official OTA update from Xiaomi. The brand never compromises to give it’s latest UI update to old devices too.
Redmi 3/3S Android 9 Pie update
It’s almost two and a half year since Redmi 3/3s was launched, and it is a budget device too. Which means it’s nearly impossible for Redmi 3/3S to receive the latest Android 9.0 Pie update. But, Xiaomi devices have a great development community which can help you to receive Unofficial Android Pie update through several Custom ROMs.
Redmi 3S Prime Pie update
The latest budget segment phone from Xiaomi is Redmi 6 and 6A, which is coming with Android Oreo 8.0 out of the box. And, if you look at the Redmi 3S Prime, it is almost 3 version older device, and it is not fair to have believed that Redmi 3S Prime can receive Android 9.0 Pie. All the budget device of Xiaomi receive one major Android OS update, and 3S Prime already receive the Android 7.0 Nougat update, because it was coming with Android 6.0 Marshmallow out of the box.
Redmi 3/3S Android 8 Oreo update
As I mentioned before, the Redmi 3/3S was launched with the Android 6.0 Marshmallow, and Xiaomi majorly provides one official update to their budget devices, which means the Android 7.0 Nougat will be officially rolled out to the Redmi 3 series phones.
So, none of the phones will receive Android 8.0 Oreo update, but Redmi 3/3S is not short of custom Roms, and you can easily upgrade your phone with Android 8.0 through Unofficial ways.
Redmi 3S Prime Android 8 Oreo Update
The Redmi 3S prime was an upgraded version of the Redmi 3 series, and it was featuring the fingerprint sensor, and a higher battery of 4100 mAh. No doubt the expectation was quite high of getting Android OS upgrade, and the Redmi 3S Prime has received the Android 7.0 Nougat update, just like any other budget device of Xiaomi. Mostly Xiaomi rollout only one Android update, which Redmi 3S already received as the Android 7.0 Nougat update, so it will not do justice with users to think over the next Android Update so Redmi 3S Prime will not receive Android OIreo 8.0 update any time soon.
How to Install Xiaomi Redmi 3/3S/3S Prime System update
There are some ways available to install MIUI updates except downloading OTA official update. To install the MIUI updates, you can use the steps given below. Before getting into updates, be sure to wipe all data in Recovery mode to update to a discontinuous ROM version, or downgrade to an older ROM version. Now follow these steps.
- Download the latest Recovery ROM file of the update you wanted to Install on the Redmi 3/3S.
- Now, Connect your device to the computer/laptop through a USB cable, and transfer the ROM file into the folder ‘downloaded_rom’ in the internal storage folder of your device.
- Launch ‘Updater’ app on your device and tap the ‘…’ icon, at the top right corner of the screen. Now select Choose update package and choose the ROM file you have downloaded and transferred to the ‘downloaded_rom’ folder in Internal Memory.
- Now your device will start updating and Automatically boot to the new version when the update completes.
How to install Redmi 3/3S/3S Prime Recovery update
Just like any other update, there are few things need to be completed before installing the recovery update. So, you need to wipe all data in Recovery mode to update to a discontinuous ROM version or downgrade to an older ROM version. Also, Devices with a locked bootloader is not applicable for Recovery update, So it’s better not to risk your device.
Must read: How to Root and Flash Lineage OS (Android Nougat) in Redmi 3S / Prime
How To Unlock Bootloader And Root Redmi 3s/3s Prime
Installing the Recovery update on MIUI is easy, follow the given steps.
- First of all Download the latest MIUI ROM file from the update timeline table given above. Make sure to download the file in your Windows Computer/Laptop, and rename the file to ‘update.zip.’
- Now, Connect your device to the computer/laptop through a USB cable, and transfer the ROM file into the Root Directory of your internal storage, do not paste into any folder.
- Now enter into the recovery mode of your device. Xiaomi makes available two different ways to put your device into the recovery mode.
- Launch ‘Updater’ app on the device, click the icon ‘…’ at the top right corner of the screen, and select the option ‘Reboot to Recovery mode’ to enter the Recovery mode on your Xiaomi device.
- The second method to enter the Recovery mode is very easy. Simple Switch off your device, and press the Power Button and Volume Up button at the same time, and it will boot to the recovery mode.
- In Recovery mode, you need to use the Volume button to scroll over the options, and Power button to select an option. So, after entering the Recovery option, Choose the language you are comfortable with, now select ‘Install update.zip to System One’ and confirm. Your device will begin updating automatically. Just wait until the update completes. Choose the option ‘Reboot to System One.’ Now, your device will boot to the new MIUI version.
How To Install Xiaomi Redmi 3/3S/3S Prime Fastboot Update
Make sure to follow these few things before getting into the Fastboot updates. MIUI Fastboot update is very easy to install, but users have to pay attention for a successful update. Please take note of the followings.
- You required a windows Computer/Laptop.
- Your device must be fully charged or enough charged for this update.
- Also, you need to know that, all the user data will be disinfected in this process, so you need to back up your essential data before updating.
Now let’s start with the Installation process of MIUI fastboot update on your Redmi 3/3S.
- First of all, you need Download MIUI ROM Flashing Tool. If your device is locked, you need to unlock the device, click here to download the official tool from Xiaomi to unlock your device. If your device is unlocked already ignore this step.
- Now, Download the latest fastboot update ROM from the update timeline table above.
- Turn off your device, and enter into the fastboot mode. You need to press the volume down key and power buttons key together for 3 seconds to enter the Fastboot mode.
- Now, connect your Redmi device with your Windows Computer/Laptop via USB cable, and open your phone storage and double click on the downloaded ROM file to decompress it, then Open the file folder for the decompressed ROM pack, and copy its path to the computer.
- Now, the MIUI ROM flashing tool needs to be downloaded on your PC. Click here to download the MIUI ROM Flashing tool.
- Double click on the downloaded file, click ‘run’ and install it. After successful installation, open MiFlash.exe and paste into the address bar the ROM file folder path you copied in the last step.
- Click on the first button (Yellow transparent circle) to refresh, then MiFlash will automatically recognize the device and then click the second button to start flashing the ROM to the device.
- Just wait until the update completes. Your device will automatically boot to the new MIUI version.
NOTE: Sometimes out installation guide could not work for your device because of various reason. So, at that point of time, you can install Mi PC Suite on your PC, and make sure to keep your phone in fastboot mode, connect the device with your PC via a USB cable, and select the correct ROM file to flash.