HTC had a not so great 2017 as more than half of its engineers were bought by Google for 1.5 Billion dollars. However, the Taiwanese giant stilled claimed that it will continue to operate the similar way like before and will also focus on the AR side of things as well. The company even participated in Google’s Android One program and launched the mid-range Android One HTC U11 Life.
The recently launched HTC U12 Series and HTC Desire 12 series devices will get the Android Pie update for sure.
However, the company is not anymore known for updates that it used to provide in the A9 days. However, the company did update it’s new flagship to Android Oreo 8.0. The company has also largely toned down on its Sense UI keeping most part to stock, and also fewer duplicate apps are now present, which should help in getting the upgrade to Android Pie as fast as possible.
Speaking about Android P 9.0 let’s take a look at what devices from HTC’s arsenal are upgrading to the latest flavor of Android as well as some fresh highlights of Android Pie 9.0.
- Android Pie 9.0 Features
- List of HTC devices to get Android P 9.0 Update
- List of HTC devices not getting the Android Pie 9.0 update
Android Pie 9.0 Features
1) Dark Mode for AMOLED screens
2) New updates to the Messaging and Notifications
3) Notch Support or Cut-out support is now available
4) Performance enhancements for Kotlin based apps
5) Enhanced Auto-fill with machine learning
6) Strict permissions for apps as well as apps that are idle
7) Support for Multiple Camera API (Dual, triple camera support now available)
8) The Screen Shot capability now available in the Power-Off menu and New icons for the Settings menu
9) New HEIF Image compression and improved Video Codecs for HDR VP9 Video profile 2
10) Neural network API implementation is now also supported for AI assistants and apps that use machine learning
List of HTC devices to get Android P 9.0 Update
- HTC U11 Plus
- HTC U11
- HTC U11 Life (Android One)
- HTC U Ultra
- HTC U12
- HTC U12 Life
- HTC U12 Plus
- HTC Desire 12
- HTC Desire 12 Plus
- HTC U11 Eyes
These are the latest flagships which yet have 1 year or so remaining to complete their standard 2-year update cycle and hence are eligible for the Android Pie 9.0 update. However, HTC is decently quick enough when it comes to updates for its flagship phones, even though the company is the among the last ones to announce update details about the new Android OS from Google.
HTC U12, U12 Life and U12 Plus Android Pie Update
HTC’s latest flagship smartphone series the U12 line of smartphones will be the first HTC devices to get the Android ( Pie update. The devices will be getting the update in Q4 2018.
HTC U11, U11 Plus Android Pie 9.0 update
Speaking about the New OS, that’s Android Pie 9.0; it won’t show up on your HTC U11 Plus, or on HTC U11 until Q4 2018.
HTC U Ultra Android Pie 9.0 Update
The HTC U Ultra is another high-end phone from U series line-up. However, it doesn’t have the same flagship status similar to the HTC U11/U11 Plus. So, the Android Pie 9.0 for the U Ultra shall arrive in late Q4 2018 or the best HTC can do for the U Ultra is provide it by the end of Q1 2019. However, even though the device is eligible as per the standard 2-year cycle claims, it still all comes down to the final word from HTC whether they want to update this device or not. So, don’t get your hopes too high.
HTC U Life Android One
This device belongs to the Android One family, which offers stock Android experience and with that said, the HTC U Life will get the Android Pie 9.0 as well as whatever comes after that. Currently, the Moto X4 which is also an Android One device in the similar segment as the HTC U Life. That device is receiving the Android 8.1 update. Thus, the HTC U Life will follow the same path and will be among the first HTC device to be upgraded with the latest flavor of Android 9.0.
HTC Desire 12 and Desire 12 Plus Android Pie Update
The latest HTC desire 12 series were announced in the month of March earlier this year, the Desire 12 series devices comes with somewhat low-end specifications but were launched with Android Oreo 8.0 out of the box. Both the Desire 12 and the Desire 12 Plus smartphones will be getting the Android Pie 9.0 Update but we won’t be surprised if the update is delayed.
These devices will not be the first choice for the update when the company starts rolling out the Android 9 update. For these two devices, we can expect an update around Q2 2019.
A very few HTC devices will be getting the Android Pie update, and there are a lot of popular HTC devices which will be missing out on the Google’s biggest update yet. You’ll be surprised to find a few names in the list below.
List of HTC devices not getting the Android Pie 9.0 update
- HTC U Play
- HTC Bolt (Sprint Exclusive phone)
- HTC 10
- HTC 10 Evo
- HTC 10 Lifestyle
- HTC Desire 10 Pro
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle
- HTC Desire 628
- HTC Desire 830
- HTC Desire 828
- HTC Desire 825
- HTC Desire 728
- HTC Desire 630
- HTC Desire 530
- HTC Desire 625
- HTC One X9
- HTC One M9s
- HTC One E9s
- HTC A9
- HTC Butterfly 3
- HTC Desire 626
- HTC Desire 520
- HTC Desire 526
- HTC Desire 626s
- HTC One S9
- HTC Desire 10 Compact
- HTC One X10
Hence, all the phones belonging to the HTC Desire line-up are not eligible for Android Pie, and none of them are even getting the Android Oreo 8.0 update either. Even the high-end HTC Bolt has not seen Android Oreo yet, and will most likely also miss the Android Pie 9.0 update as well.
HTC is not well known in the budget market and neither in the upper-mid range segment also. And on top of that most of its workforce is now on either Google or working on the HTC Vive VR side of things.
Subscribe to The Leaker
- List of Huawei and Honor devices getting Android Pie (EMUI 9) Update
- Xiaomi Poco F2 Price, Camera, Specifications, And Release Date
- LG Android 9 update : Phone List and Expected Release Date
- Asus Android 9 Pie Update Phone list and Release Date
- Nokia Android 9 Pie update: Phone List and Expected Release Date
- Samsung Android 9 Pie update: Phone List and Expected Release Date
- Best Upcoming Smartwatches Expected in 2018 (Updated)
- How to Use Odin on MAC OSX – Download and Install JOdin3
- List of Xiaomi Mi and Redmi Phones to get Android Pie 9.0 Update
- List of Smartphones and Tablets to get the Android Oreo Update
- Xiaomi Redmi 7 Specs, Price, Camera, And Release Date
- Play Store Download with Play Services version v12.2.13 (APK)
- Asus Android 9 Pie Update Phone list and Release Date
- HTC Android 9 Pie Update Device list and Release Date
- EMUI 9.0 Update 126.96.36.199 To Be Rolled Out By Huawei For Select Smartphones
- Download Latest Critical Ops Modded APK with Obb data