Samsung’s Galaxy S6 is now a two-year-old Android flagship, and it probably won’t get any new major OS update, so Samsung Android Oreo update is impossible for that device as of now unless Samsung gives out its official word about the same. However, you can still get the latest taste of Google new OS by installing a custom ROM, and there’s a popular one called LieanegOS 15 which is based on the Android Oreo and can bring you the latest operating system on your Galaxy S6.
So, to start the installation process, first, you need to Download the LineageOS 15 build available now for your Galaxy S6 with model number SM-G920F. And your Galaxy S6 should have an unlocked bootloader and should also be rooted and with a custom recovery like TWRP recovery, you can install this Custom ROM. Also, make sure make a backup of everything before you proceed.
Download Android Oreo-based LineageOS 15 for GALAXY S6
How to install LineageOS 15(Unofficial) on Galaxy S6
- Download the LOS 15 and the Gapp from the links given above and transfer it to your phone’s internal storage, do not put it in any folder.
- Now boot into the custom recovery mode, which every custom recovery you have installed such as TWRP, you can do so first turning off then by holding your volume down, home button and power key together for a few moments.
- Go to the custom(TWRP) recovery’s main screen and select Wipe >Advanced Wipe >and wipe cache, Dalvik cache and also the system data, you have to swipe to confirm the action.
- Now get into your recovery screen, just navigate to the custom ROM file on your internal storage and swipe it to start installing. Same thing you have to do with the Gapp file.
- After that, just once again wipe the cache and Dalvik, before you reboot. And you’re done!
You can read more about the bugs report and original post from XDA here.