Motorola launched its Moto G2 smartphone back in 2014, at that time it was one of the best sellers, but if you look at this device in 2017, then it will appear too outdated. It is very old regarding hardware as well as regarding software; we can’t change the hardware of the device.
Motorola is not going to provide further updates on the device, but still, there is one way by which you can get the latest software on your device, and that is by rooting it and flashing a custom ROM on it.
In this article, we will learn that how one can install the latest Android 8.0 Oreo in Motorola Moto G2. It is clear that Motorola will not be going to roll out an update for it but through LineageOS 15 one can update his/her device to Android 8.0 Oreo. This update will offer you a lot of liberty on your old device as it provides all those typical Android Oreo features including PIP(picture in picture) mode, split screen, adaptive icons, etc.
LineageOS 15 for Moto G2 is in developing stage which means there might be some bugs in the ROM, which will get fixed the time. Do note that the ROM is only compatible with Moto G2 3G variant and Moto G2 LTE variant so don’t try it on any other device. A rooted device is required to install any custom ROM, so you must have a rooted device to install it. TWRP recovery is also mandatory to install this ROM so do ensure that your device must have TWRP recovery installed, now follow the below steps. You will also need to unlock the bootloader of the Moto G2.
How to Install LineageOS 15 on the device:
- ) First, download the given files below.
- ) After that shift the LineageOS 15 zip file and Gapps file in the internal storage of your Moto G2.
- ) Switch off your device and long press the volume down+Power button to get into recovery mode.
- ) Select Wipe option from TWRP and select the factory data reset option.(Wipe everything except internal storage)
- ) Now again click on the install button and select the LineageOS zip file from the storage, swipe the flash button and install it.
- ) After installing the ROM, wipe the cache and Dalvik cache.
- ) Now again click on install and select the Gapps file from the storage, swipe to install.
- ) Now Reboot the device, it may take some time.