Samsung’s flagship Galaxy S8-series is one of the best Android smartphones out there and shortly, the company will launch its S9-series of devices, but if you remember a few years back, Samsung launched its Galaxy S5 device which was a flagship at that time.
Due to technology advancements, it now appears to be a way old device, and because of its old hardware, Samsung is unable to provide new Android updates for it. Due to which it lacks in software too but in today’s article, we will tell you that how you can Root and update your old Galaxy S5 device to the latest Android 8.0 Oreo.
Do note that this ROM is currently in the developing phase which means some of the features of the phone will not work, for example after installing this ROM you won’t be able to wake the device by clicking on the home button.
For rooting, ensure that your device has a custom recovery like TWRP installed. You have to download the file(SuperSU.zip), and we have provided the links to them below. Don’t forget to backup the current files otherwise you might result in losing them.
How to Root your Galaxy S5 running on Android Marshmallow?
- 1.) After downloading the SuperSU file place it somewhere in the internal storage.
- 2.) Switch off the device and long press Vol Up+Home+Power button, and you will be directed to the TWRP recovery.
- 3.) From there select the Wipe option, Advance Wipe, wipe the Cache and Dalvik Cache.
- 4.) Click on the Install button and select the SuperSU.zip file and swipe to Install.
- 5.) After that Reboot the device normally and now you have successfully rooted your device.
How to Install LineageOS 15 on the Galaxy S5?
- ) After downloading the files, switch off the device and then long press the Vol down+Power button and you will be directed to the recovery screen.
- ) From here, Click on the Wipe option, Advanced Wipe from here select Wipe Cache, Dalvik Cache, System, Data and click to proceed.
- ) Then Click on the Install button and from their select the LineageOS 15, swipe to install it.
- ) After that again click on the Install button and locate the Gapps file, swipe to install it.
- ) Wipe Cache and Dalvik Cache one more time and simply reboot the device.
Now you have successfully installed the Android 8.0 Oreo on your device.
Download LineageOS 15 for Galaxy S5
Download Gapps file