In this article, we will take you through the process of rooting your Motorola Moto G5 Plus and the Moto G5 as well. Rooting your device will open up endless customization possibilities and things such as Xposed modules for more advanced software experience on your beloved smartphone.
Moreover, to root your device, you need to unlock the bootloader of your Motorola device, and we have talked about that process in an earlier post. So, after you have your bootloader unlocked; however, before that, you also need to install a custom recovery on your Moto G5/G5 Plus, such as TWRP recovery. And you’ll also you need to download a bunch of files to start the rooting process.
So without any further ado, let’s straight get to the rooting process.
Here are the links for downloading all the necessary files:
- TWRP recovery for Moto G5 Plus: Download
- TWRP recovery for Moto G5: Download
- Magisk-v12.0.zip file: Download
- lazyflasher-no-verity-opt-encrypt.zip file: Download
Installing TWRP recovery on your Moto G5/G5 Plus
You will need a PC for this process
- Back up everything on your phone
- Connect your Moto G5/G5 Plus to your PC, also go and enable USB debugging option on your phone
- Next, go to the ADB FASTBOOT FILES folder located on your PC and then hold shift and Right click on your mouse to open the command prompt window
- After that type this command in the window –> adb devices,
to make sure that your device is connected
- Given that at this point you have all the necessary file downloaded, like the TWRP recovery file for the G5/G5 Plus; So with your device connected to the PC, Type in the following commands to flash the recovery:fastboot flash recovery twrp_cedric_3.1.1-0.img
- (Important Note: the command in here is highlighted in Bold, while the name of the recovery file could be anything so copy that name into the command window and append it with .img extension.)
- And you’re done, the TWRP custom recovery is installed on your device.
- Now, the first Reboot into your recovery, just boot into fast boot mode, by holding down your volume down key and power key together; and when boot into the fastboot mode, navigate using volume keys and select custom recovery with power key and that’s it. Do not reboot the system, after flashing TWRP, first the custom recovery then system.
- If the recovery mode asks for Password, then you just have to select Cancel, as we don’t know what’s the passkey on this encrypted recovery.
- Next, up is you wipe the data, select the format data option and swipe
- It will ask you to confirm, just type in yes when you see the keyboard to enter your confirmation “yes” value.
- After that, you need to TAP on reboot and then recovery; then select do not install like this, with this you again reach TWRP recovery.
How To Root your Moto G5/G5 Plus:
After the bootloader is unlocked a custom recovery is installed, you are ready to start the rooting process of your Motorola Moto G phones, that’s the G5/G5 Plus. Make sure you have the Magisk file as well as the lazyflasher file on your phones internal storage because we will flash them with TWRP recovery to root your device. And your phone also needs to be connected to your PC all this time.
- Boot into your custom recovery, that’s the TWRP we just installed
- Next, Navigate to the Magisk file on your internal storage and swipe to flash it
- Now, again navigate to your Lazyflasher zip file and also swipe to flash it, just like the Magsik one. Flashing lazyflasher is necessary or else, hello Bootloops!
- After that, you need to TAP on reboot and then recovery, then select do not install like this, and then you reboot your Moto G5/G5 Plus.
- Congo, now your Moto G5/G5 Plus is rooted, to verify the same, just download the root checker app from below to confirm it.
Developer: joeykrimPrice: Free
Note- We are in no way responsible for any damages done to your device during the process. The process has been tested and is working successfully. If you encounter any issues during the process, comment down below, and we will sort it out for you.
1 thought on “Moto G5 and Moto G5 Plus Root Guide (Step by Step)”
Not getting update in moto g5 s plus.