Samsung has finally released their new set of S-series devices, the Galaxy S9 and the Galaxy S9 Plus. Samsung launched these devices recently, and the response from people is good as well. Lately, the kernel sources for both these devices were released. So it was time for TWRP to support the latest flagships from Samsung. So if you’re interested to root your Samsung Galaxy S9 or Galaxy S9 Plus, then you are at the right place. In this guide, we’ll walk you through the process of unlocking bootloader, installing TWRP, and rooting Samsung Galaxy S9 or Galaxy S9 Plus.
Before going through the root process further, you must know that this will format your device completely including photos, videos, or any other files. So make sure to take a backup and store it somewhere else before unlocking the bootloader. The process will be same for both the Galaxy S9 and the Galaxy S9 Plus.
Also, note that the TWRP recovery is only out for the Samsung Galaxy S9 or the Galaxy S9 Plus devices running on Samsung’s own Exynos chipset. Samsung only sells these Exynos variants in selected countries. These include India, Europe, Australia, etc. So if you got a Snapdragon-powered Galaxy S9 or the Galaxy S9 Plus, then you’re out of luck for now. The model numbers supported for now are SM-G960F/FD/N (S9) and SM-G965F/FD/N (S9+). Also make sure you know that rooting Galaxy S9 and S9 Plus will totter the Samsung Knox, which means your warranty will be void.
Unlocking Bootloader and Flashing TWRP
1. Go to Settings > About Phone > Software Information and then tap on Build number seven times. This will enable Developer Options on your device.
2. Now go to Settings again > Developer Options and enable OEM Unlock.
3. Moving to your PC, download and extract the Samsung’s ODIN package.
Odin Package (Download)
4. Now download the TWRP images for Galaxy S9 or S9 Plus below.
5. Now you need to turn off your device. Once power down, hold VOLUME DOWN + BIXBY + POWER buttons for 15 seconds approximately. A warning message will pop up. You need to press VOLUME UP button here which will lead you to Download Mode.
6. Now open ODIN on your PC. Once opened, click on AP and browse for the TWRP file of your device which was downloaded in Step 4.
7. Connect your Galaxy S9 or S9 Plus to your PC. Odin will show up a notification that your device is connected. If your PC doesn’t recognize your device, then download the required Samsung drivers below.
Samsung Drivers (Download)
8. Again, hold down the VOLUME UP + BIXBY + POWER buttons on your device, click START in ODIN. It’ll start the flashing process as soon as possible. And don’t release those 3 buttons until the flashing process is done completely and you are into TWRP. (In case if you get an error stating the device failed to initialize, then just simply click RESET in ODIN and repeat all the steps from the beginning).
9. If everything goes right, you’ll be into TWRP greeted with a warning message. Just swipe the bottom slider to allow modifications. Once you’re in the main menu of TWRP, select Wipe > Format Data and then type yes and press enter. This will format your data.
10. Now go back to the main menu of TWRP and select Reboot > Recovery. This will reboot your device back into recovery mode. Once rebooted, download the dm-verity and force encryption disabler to your computer from below.
Dm-Verity & Force Encryption Disabler (Download)
11. Now transfer the downloaded zip file from your computer to your Galaxy S9 or S9 Plus via USB. Now get back to TWRP and select Install, then browse for the downloaded file and select it. Then Swipe to the right to confirm flash. Once flashed, select Reboot System.
12. Now your device is ready with TWRP, and you can set up your device from the beginning as usual. TWRP will be working completely fine.
Rooting Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9 Plus
Note that, Magisk isn’t supported for the Galaxy S9 or the Galaxy S9 Plus yet, so we’ll be using SuperSU as usual to root S9 and S9 Plus. Let’s get started with the process then.
1. As you are done with the setup, for now, you need to turn off your Samsung Galaxy S9 or S9 Plus. And then hold down the VOLUME UP + BIXBY + POWER buttons on your device to boot into Recovery Mode which is TWRP now.
2. Now you need to download this file called N965F_root_OEM_issue_devices.zip on your computer from down below. Once download, move it into the internal storage of your phone using USB method.
3. Once transferred, select Install, then browse for the downloaded file and select it. Then Swipe to the right to confirm flash.
4. Now you’ll be asked a few questions during the process. All you need to do is select YES for both OEM Patch and Root with SuperSU. Once this process is done, select reboot system and you’ll be good to go.
5. Once rebooted, you’ll be able to SuperSU installed on your device which translates to your Galaxy S9 or S9 Plus being rooted perfectly. If you still got any doubts to be cleared, you can simply download and install Root Checker from Play Store and verify if your device is rooted by granting the SuperSU permission.
Well, that was it. Your Samsung Galaxy S9 or Galaxy S9 Plus is now rooted successfully.
2 thoughts on “How To Root Samsung Galaxy S9 and S9 Plus and Install TWRP”
there is no OEM option on my new galaxy 9 from xfinity.
I’d like to find out if I can root the fone and that it will still work with xfinity mobile.
Works on s9 sanpdragon?