Rooting the OnePlus 5 is quite easy just like any other OnePlus device as they have given their user’s liberty to root the device and use it officially. There are 3 necessary steps to root the device
- Unlocking the Bootloader of OnePlus 5
- Installing TWRP on OnePlus 5
- Rooting OnePlus 5
Please be careful with each step and do follow each step with at-par measures. Do note that The Leaker or the author will not be liable for any damage happens to your device in this process.
Table of Contents
- The device which you are going to root should have a decent amount of battery. We suggest your device is having at least 80% of battery in it.
- Enable USB debugging on your smartphone. Go to Settings > About Phone and tap on build number 8 times. Return to Settings and then go to Developer Options. Enable USB debugging from here.
- If you have valuable data, create a backup of all the information which is present in your device. All your data will be erased at the stage you are going to unlock the bootloader of the device.
- Install Minimal ADB and Fastboot tools on your PC.
- Download all necessary file from this XDA developers thread.
Let us move to the steps to unlock the bootloader and install a custom recovery; we will assume that you have ADB and FastBoot installed on your computer, and you know all the basics to operate it.
How to unlock bootloader of OnePlus 5
- Step 1: Enter into bootloader mode by pressing Volume Up and Power Button
- Step 2: Open the ADB/Fastboot command prompts and enter the following commands
- fastboot devices
(once you see your device listed therein you may continue)
- fastboot oem unlock
(A warning page will be displayed, and you will have to select yes using volume button on the phone)
- fastboot devices
Now to flash a custom recovery, you will have to power on the device go to developer options if not available in settings then tap build number in about section for 7 times, after that you will have to select OEM to unlock from developer options.
How to install TWRP recovery on OnePlus 5
- Step 1: Again boot the phone in bootloader mode
- Step 2: Open ADB/Fastboot command promt and enter the following commands
- fastboot flash recovery (file name) .img
- After you flash the recovery just remove the USB cord and reboot to the recovery manually to root OnePlus 5.
How to root OnePlus 5
After you boot into the recovery just put the Magisk file or Super SU file into the device
- select install from TWRP menu
- choose the ZIP file from the browser
- just swipe to confirm flash
- after flashing clear cache and Dalvik cache and reboot the device
- Voila, you have successfully rooted your OnePlus 5.
After you reboot you will get a rooted phone in your hand, hope you like our guide to root OnePlus 5, you can do much more with a rooted device 🙂