Earlier in 2015, OnePlus revealed its budget-oriented smartphone which was the OnePlus X but due to the existence of brands like Xiaomi, Coolpad in that segment the brand failed to impress the customer with their OnePlus X device.
Only a few units have been sold by the brand here in India including the Ceramic version. OnePlus has limited the software support for that old device due to which users are moving towards the custom ROMs. For installing a custom ROM, one needs a device with unlocked bootloader and root access as well so considering that in our today’s article you will get to know about how one can root his/her OnePlus X handset.
For rooting your device one needs to have necessary software’s installed on the PC namely, the ADB and Fastboot. After rooting a device successfully, one can easily install third-party ROMs based on different Android versions. After rooting your OnePlus device, the warranty will not get void as OnePlus’s policy is a little different, but if you broke your CPU or motherboard due to overclocking then this would not be covered in handset’s warranty.
How to Unlock the Bootloader of OnePlus X
- ) For unlocking the bootloader one needs a PC/Laptop with ADB and Fastboot software installed.
- ) Turn on the developer options in your device and there switch on USB debugging and OEM unlocking.
- ) Now switch off your device boot into Fastboot mode by long pressing Power+Volume down key combination.
- ) Connect it to the PC through a working USB cable.
- ) Open ADB and start the command prompt by pressing Shift+right click anywhere, in the command prompt give the below command to unlock the bootloader:
fastboot oem unlock
- ) Now the phone will go through some process and after completion shows you new screen, there choose yes, and the phone will reboot automatically.
- ) Now you have a device with an unlocked bootloader.
How to Install TWRP recovery in OnePlus X
The link to TWRP file has been provided below but don’t try this file on any other smartphone.
- ) Download the TWRP image file from the link given and rename it as recovery.img.
- ) Connect your smartphone to PC with a USB cable and boot the device into fastboot mode.
- ) Transfer the TWRP file(recovery.img) to ADB directory on PC and launch the command prompt by pressing Shift+right click in any blank space.
- ) Now give the below-mentioned command:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
- ) As it finishes the processing gives the below-mentioned command to boot into TWRP recovery:
fastboot boot recovery.img
- ) Now you can see the TWRP screen, and you have successfully installed the TWRP recovery on your device.
How to Root OnePlus X
In this process, you don’t need a PC so keep that USB cable aside and download the below provided SuperSU file, keep it in your device and don’t forget to take a complete backup of your current ROM as in bad times you may end up losing your data.
- ) Make sure your device has around 50% or more charge remaining.
- ) Download the SuperSU file.
- ) Switch off your smartphone and boot into fastboot mode by long pressing Power+Vol down key combination.
- ) Now you will be directed to TWRP screen, from here click on the Install button and locate the SuperSU file, swipe to Install.
- ) As the installation finishes, click on Wipe, here wipe the Cache and Dalvik Cache.
- ) Now reboot the system and your device now has root access.
Download TWRP recovery for OnePlus X
Download SuperSU for OnePlus X