Its been a long time since Samsung launched its Samsung Galaxy S4 handset, it was launched way back in 2013. Samsung has terminated the official software support for the device which is a normal factor as hardly from any smartphone brand exists in the market which provides software support for a smartphone which is too old.
A lot of unofficial development has been made for the device which is more than enough to make the Galaxy S4 users happy, by those methods one can enjoy the latest Android versions on his/her old handsets.
Today we are back with some crazy stuff for those who are still in love with their old Galaxy S4 and this data is all about the way by which you can get the fresh Android 8.1 Oreo on your handset. In today’s article, we will be discussing the Substratum ROM which is just a modified version of the AOSP ROM.
This ROM is currently in Beta phase which means users may have to face some issues related to software. For installing it, you need to have a rooted device whose bootloader must be unlocked. If you own a global variant, then its bootloader comes unlocked by default, but if you are a Verizon or AT&T user, then you will have to put some extra efforts to do it. The further steps will void your device’s warranty, and nothing can be better than taking a complete backup of your device before jumping ahead.
How to Install TWRP Recovery on Samsung Galaxy S4?
Since no official TWRP recovery is available for the device, so we are using an unofficial one which works fine. You have to download ADB and Fastboot on your PC/Laptop before doing anything, follow the below steps carefully:
- ) Firstly enable USB debugging on your smartphone by going to developer options.
- ) Now we assume that you have correctly installed the ADB and Fastboot on PC/Laptop.
- ) Download the TWRP file from the links given below and rename it as twrp.img, move the downloaded file to PC in the ADB directory.
- ) Now connect your device to PC by a working USB cable.
- ) Go to ADB directory and start the command prompt by pressing Shift+Right click anywhere, then press “w” on keyboard.
- ) Give the below-mentioned command to enter the Bootloader mode:
abd reboot bootloader
- ) After entering the bootloader mode give the below-mentioned command to flash the TWRP recovery:
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
- ) As the twrp completes the installation, give the below-mentioned command to reboot:
- ) Now your phone will reboot, and your device is now equipped with a custom recovery.
How to Install Android 8.1.0 Oreo on Samsung Galaxy S4
The ROM has been developed by JDCTeam, the phone variants supported by ROM are I9505, I9505G, I9507, I9508, I337, M919, I545, R970, L720, S970G, S975L. This ROM contains some issues, according to the source Camera app is half broken, NFC is not present, and it is yet to be tested on CDMA models, etc.
- ) Download the ROM and Gapps package from the links given below.
- ) Put these files into your SD card and make sure that your device should have 60% or above charge remaining.
- ) Boot into recovery mode by long pressing Home button+Vol up+Power button.
- ) Now Wipe data/factory reset the device.
- ) Click on the Install option and locate the ROM zip file from the SD card, now swipe to install.
- ) As it finishes the installation again press the Install option and locate the Gapps file, swipe to install.
- ) After installation select the Reboot option, the device might take a little extra time to reboot, but now you have the latest Android Oreo firmware on your Galaxy S4.
Download TWRP recovery for Galaxy S4
Download the Oreo ROM zip file
Download Gapps for Android 8.0 Oreo
Perform the above steps at your own risk; we are not responsible for any mishappening to your device.