After the release of Google’s Project treble, now almost all flagship grade Android smartphones are getting the Android P 9.0 developer preview. First, it was only the Google Pixel devices that were at the forefront of such updates, but now even the OnePlus flagships are.
So, the OnePlus 6 came with Android Oreo 8.1 and the device already had the Developer Preview 1 available for Download and as weeks pass by, Google has rolled out the Android P 9.0 Developer Preview 2 and now this new latest update of Android is also made available for the OnePlus 6 and in this post we’ll take a look at How to update your OnePlus 6 to Android P 9.0 Beta Developer Preview 2.
Moreover, as always the case with beta updates, you should be aware that this isn’t the final finished product and does come with some bugs and glitches here and there. So, be prepared for something crashing now and then, while some of your essential features might also work incorrectly. If you’re comfortable with all this then only you should proceed any further.
How to Install Android P 9.0 Developer Preview 2 Beta on OnePlus 6
First, you need to Download the New Android P 9.0 beta DP2 file, and the link for the same is given below. The size of this file is around 1.41GB so, make sure you have enough space free to hold it.
Next, take backup of all your important data, as this process will wipe everything on your phone and install a new OS. So, backup everything on your OnePlus 6 before this process.
- Download OxygenOS_21_OTA_180615_DP2 ZIP file (Android P 9.0 DP 2)
Once, you have downloaded the Android P 9.0 DP2 file; you need to place it on your phone’s internal storage. But make sure you do not place it in any folder, just directly on your phone’s storage; root directory means not within any folder.
- Now to Install the Android P DP2 Update
– Just head over to the System Settings and open it
– Next, go to System updates, and in that top right corner you’ll find an icon, tap on it
– It will take you to the Local Upgrade then Tap on the Update File to Install it
- This will now initiate the Installation process, and this will take some time. So, sit back and relax
- Once, the installation process is completed, do not Reboot your device right away
- You have to perform a factory reset, before you reboot it, so that’s what comes next
- Boot your OnePlus 6 into recovery mode, to do so hold the Power key and the Volume down Key simultaneously for a few moments (10 seconds), and you’ll see the recovery screen come to life
- Within that recovery screen, you’ll see the option to Wipe data/factory reset; we have to Select that option
- To select it, just use the Volume Up and Down keys to scroll up and down in that recovery menu screen
- And to confirm use the Power key, when you select the Factory reset option
- Use the power button to confirm it, and the process will start
- Once, done just reboot your device and you’re good to go
That’s how you get the new flavor of Android on your OnePlus 6, and we hope, the company also does the same for the OnePlus 5 and the OnePlus 5T users shortly and or the OnePlus 6T might just come pre-installed with Android P 9.0 final version.