OnePlus, yeah the self-touting Flagship Killer released two of their flagships OnePlus 3 & OnePlus 3T back in the year 2016. There was just about a gap of five months between both devices & OnePlus considers them as one device, which, indirectly, they are.
Usually, the main variant & the T variant both receive the updates together by OnePlus. Well, the Chinese Flagship Killer was very competitive with other brands to provide the Android Oreo. Not only that, OnePlus 3 was one of the first smartphones amongst non-Google devices to get the update.
Also, Check – List of OnePlus devices getting Android Pie Update.
It was really surprising to see that OnePlus 3 even beat the newer OnePlus 5 and 5T regarding Android Oreo. That’s how dedicated this Chinese Company is towards supporting their old devices as well.
Android 9 Pie Update for OnePlus 3 and OnePlus 3T?
OnePlus 3 came with Android Marshmallow out of the box. After that OnePlus rolled out two major OS updates with Android Nougat & Android Oreo. So, after getting two major software updates, we could assume that OnePlus 3 and 3T will not be eligible for receiving another major update. Well, OnePlus is going to prove us wrong.
As interesting as it sounds, OnePlus has officially announced that OnePlus 3 and 3T will receive the third major OS upgrade & that is Android 9 Pie. It’s commendable to see that a non-Google OEM to roll-out three major OS updates for three consecutive years, OnePlus has impressed us. It seems that other OEM’s like Samsung & Huawei need to learn from this young brand.
OnePlus didn’t reveal the exact launch date for the Android 9 Pie update. But, we can surely speculate by the pattern of the previous updates with the major OS upgrades. Generally, we would not be much harsh & decently expect OnePlus to roll-out Android 9 Pie update preferably to OnePlus 6, OnePlus 5 & 5T ahead of the older flagships OnePlus 3 & 3T. Accordingly, it is most likely that Android 9 Pie will be rolled out to OnePlus 3 & 3T during the Q1 of 2019.
Android 9 Pie is the third major OS upgrade for OnePlus 3 & 3T, and it will be now equivalent to the Pixel handsets to receive the three major OS upgrades.
OnePlus 3 OxygenOS 5.0.6
The Chinese manufacturer goes with the tagline ‘Flagship Killer’ & as you would expect from any Flagship brand that their smartphones remain updated & protected with the timely updates. Be it an OS update altogether or security patches. Well, OnePlus isn’t ignorant either just like any other Flagship brand.
OnePlus has been providing timely updates even to their older flagships. The Chinese manufacturer rolled out an update for OnePlus 3 on 28th of September 2018 with its OxygenOS version of 5.0.6. It is based on Android 8.0 Oreo. The update brought a September security patch along with some general bug fixes & optimizations here & there.
If you haven’t received a notification yet & want to install the update manually, well, worry not, we have got you covered. Just follow the guide below for manually updating your beloved OnePlus 3. There are two certain ways to do so, choose the method that suits you.
How to Flash OnePlus 3 update manually:
1st Method: Using the phone’s storage method
Step 1: First things first, you need to download the OTA or full update file from here.
Step 2: When your file gets downloaded just transfer it to the phone. The Update file can also be downloaded directly to the storage of OnePlus 3 which will be found in the download folder.
Step 3: Now, you need to boot your OnePlus 3 into the recovery mode with the following procedure:
- Turn Off your OnePlus 3 & wait until the screen goes off completely for around 6-7 seconds.
- Now, Press & hold the Power button + Volume up key simultaneously till the screen fires up.
- From the menu displayed on the screen use the volume rocker to locate the Recovery mode at the top of the screen.
- Press the power button to select the Recovery Mode option. That will reboot the device into Recovery Mode.
Step 4: Flash the update using the following procedure:
- Now that you are in the recovery mode, once again use the volume rocker to navigate & locate the update file that you previously transferred in step 2.
- Select the update file & press on the Install update option & there you go, the latest OxygenOS 5.0.6 update will be installed on your OnePlus 3.
Note: If the OTA update cannot be installed using the above regular method, then you just need to install the full ROM file as an alternative.
Step 5: The update will now start installing on your device. Do not restart or interrupt your device when the update is being installed. The installation might take some time so be patient until the update is completed. After installation, you’ll be redirected to the recovery’s home screen.
Step 6: Now, just select ‘Reboot system now’ to restart your OnePlus 3 normally.
Now, you are good to go.
2nd Method: Using the ADB Sideload procedure
Note: Here, make sure you have the Stock Recovery.
Step 1: Setup ADB & Fastboot on your PC. (Before proceeding do make sure to search & know about how to set up ADB & Fastboot)
Step 2: Download the update (.zip) file on your PC & then rename it as ‘op3-update.zip’.
Step 3: Enable USB debugging with the following instructions:
- Go to the main settings of your OnePlus 3, Settings > About phone > tap on the Build number for about 7 times to enable the Developer mode on your device.
- Now open settings > Developer options > check the USB debugging option.
Step 4: Connect your OnePlus 3 to the PC with the USB cable.
Step 5: Now that you are connected, just open the folder on your PC where you downloaded the (.zip) file of update & then you need to open the command prompt window from inside the folder.
- To initiate that just press the ‘Shift key + Right-click’ anywhere inside the folder in a space & select ‘Open command window here’ from the context menu.
Step 6: Now you have to issue the following window (adb reboot recovery) to command window which will reboot your device into Recovery Mode.
Note: While this do check the device for any prompt if you see your device asking for a prompt ‘Allow USB debugging,’ then just confirm it with OK/Yes.
Step 7: Now that you’re in the recovery mode, use Volume rocker to navigate inside the menu & Power button to select an option.
Step 8: Now, select the ‘Install from USB’ option on the device.
Step 9: Next, issue the following command (adb sideload op3-update.zip) to initiate the installation of the update. It will finally fire up the installation of the firmware.
Step 10: Now, finally you are set with the installation of the update being concluded, just select the reboot option from the main menu of the recovery to restart your OnePlus 3 normally.
Well, enjoy your up to date device with the latest bug fixes & security patch.
Subscribe to The Leaker
- List of Huawei and Honor devices getting Android Pie (EMUI 9) Update
- Xiaomi Poco F2 Price, Camera, Specifications, And Release Date
- LG Android 9 update : Phone List and Expected Release Date
- Asus Android 9 Pie Update Phone list and Release Date
- Nokia Android 9 Pie update: Phone List and Expected Release Date
- Samsung Android 9 Pie update: Phone List and Expected Release Date
- Best Upcoming Smartwatches Expected in 2018 (Updated)
- How to Use Odin on MAC OSX – Download and Install JOdin3
- List of Xiaomi Mi and Redmi Phones to get Android Pie 9.0 Update
- List of Smartphones and Tablets to get the Android Oreo Update
- Xiaomi Redmi 7 Specs, Price, Camera, And Release Date
- Play Store Download with Play Services version v12.2.13 (APK)
- Asus Android 9 Pie Update Phone list and Release Date
- HTC Android 9 Pie Update Device list and Release Date
- EMUI 9.0 Update 220.127.116.11 To Be Rolled Out By Huawei For Select Smartphones
- Download Latest Critical Ops Modded APK with Obb data